Thursday, January 26, 2006

Freezing Cold ...

... quite literally.

I went out for what was supposed to be a 3 mile run this morning. The timing was perfectly planned ... I left the house at 6:47 ... 3 miles takes me 38 minutes ... I get back home at 7:25 in time for Jason to run out the door.

What I didn't count on was stepping outside into the freezing cold ... actually I did plan on stepping out into the freezing cold and dressed accordingly. What I didn't plan on was the wind. It was fine in my established neighborhood with all the trees and little hills to block the brunt of it. When I hit the new ... read treeless ... subdivision and the straight stretch road where the wind was hitting me face on was when I really felt it. I was dressed appropriately for the cold ... but not for 'that' cold. My breath was literally being taken away from me. So I wimped out and headed back home. Actually as soon as I turned around it was bearable again ... but the decision had been made.

When I got back in I checked the temps ... 20 F but with wind chill felt like 11 F ... Brrr!!!

Oh the cool thing is I had an average pace of 11:11/mi ... AND it's not because I only ran a little over one mile. The first mile of yesterday's run was 12:16/mi. I'm hoping that I'm still on a downward spiral time wise.

Running Stats

Running Time: 13:31
Running Distance: 1.21 mi
Average Pace: 11:11/mi

4 comments:

Megan said...

I am so impressed Amber!

I think it's great that you are so dedicated to running ~ even in frigid temps! That's so cool.

Do you listen to music or anything while you run? I ran a long time ago & stopped because I began to be bored.....
Let me know what you do...

Sarah Elaine said...

Cold weather can definitely change how you run, what you wear, your pace, etc. I'm no expert on this, but I do hear lots of runners up here talking about it. Planning for the cold is a big part of what Canadian runners deal with in the winter.

Kudos to you for getting out there on a freezing day!

Amber said...

Megan,

Well really I was dedicated enough to get out and run in cold weather ... I was wimp enough to turn around and head home when it got colder ... lol!

I listen to audiobooks on my Ipod Shuffle. Right now I am in the midst of the Mitford series from Jan Karon. They are pretty good ... they get me out running so that I can find out what happens next.

I was listening to S is for Silence by Sue Grafton. Now that one was too good. I ended up sitting on my couch listening to most of that one because I HAD to find out what happened next and I couldn't wait for the next run to listen to it again.

Kimberly Rae said...

I'm not much on the cold weather running myself. But the few times I have done it, its been with my run club.. its easier to do when your not alone for those cold runs..